Yeah! We made it through and are on the cusp of another new year. New Year is a time of endings turning into new beginnings. It is a time of making resolutions you really are going to try to keep this year and a time of rejuvenation. If you haven’t had such a great year it is the renewal of hope. If you had a great year it is a celebration of good things. New Year’s celebrations are FUN! Noise makers, silly hats, and food & drink abound as family and friends cheer to the New Year! What better way to celebrate than with sweets! Below is a really fun and easy craft to put a fun and more personalized twist on the party popper. My family and I made these over the weekend to proudly offer our guests at our New Year’s Eve celebration. We used metallic paint pens in silver and gold to add little celebratory messages to these poppers. There is still time for you to make these for your own celebration!
New Year’s Eve Poppers
•Paper towel tubes
•Wrapping paper / tissue paper
•X-acto knife / Scissors
•Pin or needle
•Embellishments (ribbon, stickers, spray glitter, etc.)
1. Using an x-acto knife or scissors, cut the paper towel tube in half. Each half will become its own popper. Then cut each of these tubes in half again, because each popper tube needs to be pre-cut before you wrap them. So just to clarify, these four pieces of tubes will make two poppers.
2. Cut a piece of wrapping paper or tissue paper that’s wide enough to wrap around the tube and long enough to have at least 2″ of extra paper on each end of the tube. Place both halves of the tube closely together in the center of the wrapping paper. Then wrap and tape down the paper. Note: Don’t place any tape along the middle portion of the poppers, so that they will be easier to pop open.
3. Tie one end closed with curling ribbon. Then use the other open end to fill the poppers with and assortment of Hershey® Kisses®, Rolos®, Chocolate Coins and other surprises. Once the poppers are filled, tie off the other end. Then cut the ends into strips.
4. Cut pieces of wrapping paper about 2″ wide and long enough to wrap around the tube. Then cut strips down the side of the paper that are about ¼” wide and about halfway in. You will need two of these for each popper. Wrap them around the two ends of the popper so that the cut frills are hanging off the ends, and tape them down. You may want to curl or bend the frills backwards a little so they flare up more.
5. Decorate the poppers with ribbon, stickers, spray glitter or even write the year along the center. We embellished our poppers with ric rac trim.
6. To make your poppers easier to pop open, perforate the paper by poking holes all around the center (where the tube was cut) with a straight pin or needle.
Your party poppers are now complete! Have a Happy New Year!